Being with people the first day home
Your puppy(s) leaving their mother and litter-mates will probably bring about some anxiety. When your new puppy arrives at your house, he'll be a little disoriented, confused, and worried because it (they) was recently taken from his mother and siblings. Dogs are social creatures, so this separation can be distressing to a young puppy. By making sure it (they) gets a lot of attention from your family and is successfully introduced to and accepted by any other household pets, you can help him to adjust more quickly.
However, this can be greatly diminished if you plan your schedules so that you will be home with the puppy the first 3 to 4 days like during a long weekend, if you can. Some authors suggest leaving the puppy alone and give her time to herself to adjust to the new surroundings. I disagree. In my home, we plan for this introductory period by keeping the puppy involved with plenty of attention from me and other family member as well as any established pets you feel will accept the puppy. When we are not with the puppy, it is sleeping. You will be amazed how time spent in this manner will speed up the housebreaking process. If the children are young or are not familiar with how to handle puppies, you should spend some time with them during these first few days explaining common sense rules on how to play with the puppy.
If he stops eating I suggest hand feeding him/her, only for the first night or morning. After that the only time you'd hand feed him is if your vet suggests it. Otherwise, you want to feed him at a regularly scheduled time every day. Although, with Poodles I suggest leaving food down at all times. This helps to avoid over eating if her/she becomes over hungry and gobbling up too much food, which can lead to Bloat. If you decide to put food down for him/her on a schedule and he/she doesn't eat the food in 15 minutes, remove it and leave only the water. Put his food back down at his next regular feeding. ALWAYS LEAVE CLEAN FRESH WATER. PUPPIES ARE PRONE TO BLADDER INFECTIONS OR UTIS IF NOT ADEQUATELY HYDRATED. Their bladders are too tiny very hold much so dehydration and subsequent UTIs and Kidney or Bladder infections WILL occur. Also, use Distilled water for a while until your puppy(s) have grown up a little. There are less minerals and chemicals they have to process out.
You'll probably feel a bit guilty if your puppy isn't eating because of the potential problems it can cause. Actually, there's not much to worry about regarding dog nutrition as long as the lack of food intake is short term. He will have sufficient reserves to keep him healthy for the short term. Still, you'll want to take a look at possible causes of his eating problems to shorten the delay in his getting proper nutrition.
Here are a few things you can do.
- If your puppy has diarrhea, keep your eye on him to see how bad it is. If it is severe or if it doesn't stop after the first day, take your puppy to the vet quickly as dehydration can become a very real threat to your puppy's health. New surroundings can cause diarrhea and it is not uncommon. Do not over react but if it does not pass after the first day make sure you have them checked by your veterinarian. Cooked rice or pumpkin can help with slowing or stopping diarrhea as well.
- Always put his food and water in the same place to avoid disruptions in his behavior. Dogs like stability, and moving his dishes around will not help.
- Avoid feeding him table scraps as this can disturb his digestive system and lead to certain behavior problems later on.
- Make sure that his dining area is quiet during feeding times. It's difficult for a puppy to concentrate on eating when kids are running around, vacuums are running, and people are walking back and forth.
- If other pets in the household are showing aggression, bullying or jealousy against your new puppy, keep them out of his eating area until he's finished his food. Nothing can jeopardize your dog's nutrition intake faster than animals trying to attack him or take his food while he's eating.
- After you've ensured his dining area is free of distractions and disruptions, and if he's still not eating after a few days, take him to your veterinarian. Certain treatable conditions can interfere with his desire to eat. Worms is one common problem that can be cured quickly and easily. Your puppy has been wormed at the recommended times of 2,3,4,6 and 8 weeks of age but until they leave their family if one puppy re-infects with worms they can all get it as they are constantly kissing each other and passing it back and forth. Once isolated and treated worms will cease and not be an issue. This is a very common puppyhood issue that is easily treatable. Over the counter medications can be used but make sure to ask you veterinarian. Your puppy(s) will be seeing the veterinarian often the first few weeks and regular worming prevention at those intervals is normal as medications are relatively harmless to your pet.
- Worms left untreated can cause your puppy to suffer with more serious dog nutrition issues because worms actually devour the food before your puppy digests it and absorbs its nutrient value. If left untreated, worms can cause more serious problems for your puppy. The sooner the condition is treated, the sooner your dog will recover and begin eating again.
- A puppy's growth rate and long term health are influenced by his food intake. Puppies use up their nutritional intake more quickly during the formulation weeks and months than they do during adulthood. This means that they require more nutritional food to meet the body's growing needs.
- I also feed NuVet Plus helps to fill the nutritional void that exists in virtually all pets diets. Even the highest quality dog foods are cooked, and the heat from cooking kills much of the nutrients that are crucial to good health. NuVet Plus is cold processed allowing the ingredients rich nutrients to be absorbed and feed their body what it truly needs. Healthy cells = healthy pets!
NuVet Plus is a full spectrum immune system builder; not a vitamin. It's filled with synergistic blend of anti-oxidants, amino acids, enzymes, vitamins, minerals and more designed to build healthy cells
and to help the pets immune system heal and even prevent diseases.
NuVet Plus is 100% natural; NO sugars, fillers, binders, grains or artificial flavors.
This provides a superior treat replacement when most foods and especially treats contain harmful ingredients such as soy, sweeteners, fillers and artificial flavors. Every ingredient in NuVet feeds our pets what they need for a long healthy life.
NuVet Plus is manufactured in the USA in an FDA registered, human pharmaceutical laboratory; almost unheard of in the pet food and supplement industry. NuVet assures the very highest quality, potency and purity. What you see on the label is what you get and this strict manufacturing process ensures it. (Made as strict as medicine!) Studies show that majority of products manufactured with less controls, some sourced from China, often don't provide what it says on the label. Look at pet food and treat recalls: Many posted each month exposing pets to harmful ingredients. 18 years in business never a recall with NuVet. That's a BIG deal!
NuVet Plus ingredients are all natural and human grade. So called animal or feed grade allows for a manufacturer to include by-products, chemicals, fillers and meats from dying or diseased animals; something NuVet Labs would never allow or condone.
NuVet Plus is perfect for all ages of pets from pups to seniors. By keeping the immune system at peak performance our pets are better equipped to prevent disease. For puppies and kittens, it helps to boost their still maturing immune system critically important! Once a condition or disease occurs, it is the result of unhealthy cells that went unchecked for months or even years. Cancer starts developing years before signs develop
Taking NuVet plus daily can help eliminate this potentially dangerous situation.
NuVet Plus help pets deal with environmental conditions, including air pollution, pesticides and GMO ingredients in food which are rampant in our world today unlike years ago. The powerful antioxidants found in NuVet plus can help combat the damaging free radicals from the environment.
NuVet Plus is safe! Its 100% water soluble and food based,
making it almost impossible for a pet to overdose. Its also safe to take with medications.
NuVet Plus really works! Check out the countless testimonials, discussing a variety of ailments, found on http://www.nuvet.com/testimonials.html
Peace of mind NuVet Plus comes with a 60-day,
100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back! No questions asked
Nothing to lose!
Affordable & Easy! 52 cents a day on auto ship. Less than designer coffee& WAY less than 1 major vet bill!
Order today! www.nuvet.com/65256 or call 1-800-474-7044 using order code 65256 (This is Poodle Palace Puppies)
- During his first year to 18 months, feed him a good quality commercial food that has been specially formulated to meet the nutritional demands of your growing large breed puppy. By following these simple steps, you can ensure your puppy grows healthy and strong. It's all about making sure he gets good dog nutrition right from the start.
Much love and happy healthy years to come!
The Pampered Poodle Palace